background

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Squash That.... How to cook a Spaghetti Squash!

I have a chronic problem where I look at the clock at about 5pm and I have no idea what I'm going to cook for dinner. 

I keep putting off "meal planning", my husband keeps telling me I have to write a list of what I cook everyday and shop by that and well.....yea that never happens.  I buy a lot of squash, its inexpensive, filling and can sit on your counter for a long time. 


Hi.....I'm a Spaghetti Squash

HI.....I'm the End Result


I can always throw something together with this bad boy.  Spaghetti Squash a great pasta substitute and with a child who can't eat Gluten its perfect!  This Squash was sitting around my kitchen for 2 weeks (I told you they keep) and was perfect for my "I have no clue what to make meal"

Let me first say I'm an improve cook.  I don't really go by exact measurements but as my blogging goes further I PROMISE, I will try to be more accurate ;)  All ingredients were things left over in my fridge....play around with it, invent something yourself or follow this recipe

Ingredients:




  • 1 medium Spaghetti Squash
  • Left over grilled chicken
  • Oil, I used coconut just enough to coat the bottom of the Pan 
  • Tomatoes
  • 1 medium Onion
  • Salt ( I used Himalayan Sea Salt)
  • Pepper
  •  1 Teaspoon minced Garlic
  • Oregano 
  • Onion powder


1.  Take a Fork and poke holes In the Squash.  Then place Squash in Microwave Safe bowl and cook for 10 minutes

2.  WARNING..... Squash will be VERY VERY Hot coming out of the Microwave.  Once you can handle it, cut that baby open!
3.  You will find seeds in the middle.  You can use a fork and spoon to pull out the dark area and seeds.

4.  Take a fork and Scrape the spaghetti out of the shell of the Squash.

TA DAAA!!!

5.  In a frying pan saute Onions and garlic in oil will onions are translucent.  Careful not to burn the oil.

6.  Chop up left over chicken, another protein or veggie of your choice. 

7.  Toss in spaghetti Squash, chicken, tomatoes and season to your taste.  Cook for about 5 minutes stirring somewhere between occasionally and constantly (see what I mean about my lack of cooking instruction skill)

THEN.....you end up with this yumminess.  Sometimes I throw on Parmesan cheese, actually 99% of the time I do but last night I ran out. 

And that's a simple way to cook a Spaghetti Squash and empty your fridge of left overs.  In the fall be ready for me to go Squash recipe crazy, so get ready!

~Danielle



No comments:

Post a Comment